Monday, January 06, 2014

Winter is Full

This place has gone too long without an update and once again, I hope to resolve to block out regular time to post.  It's funny... the children are older, I am no longer doing childcare and currently I am not writing any publications - yet, I feel busier than ever.  

We've had our share of snow, ice and cold.  Today as a matter of fact, I just received a call that all after school activities would be cancelled due to dropping temperatures and dangerous road conditions.  Our fireplace has been getting a lot of use and while I absolutely love the snow, I'm not a fan of ice at all.
What did we do with ourselves this past month?  Well we counted down the days until Christmas with our Advent Wall Spiral Calendar.
We took evening rides around town to see all of the beautiful decorations.
 Dee came home from college and my home was once again full with all four of my girls.
 We hosted a Christmas Eve dinner for family and enjoyed each other's company and tracked Santa!
 The carrots left for Rudolf and the other reindeer were well... um, eaten.
Even though we said we'd be mindful, we realized we still overindulged with gifts.  I can cut back even more next year without much notice and we will still have a wonderful holiday.
Brian and I went away for an evening to see Prince!  This was the second time we've seen him in concert and it's always an amazing show.

We hosted a New Year's Even Open House Party for friends and our house was full to the RIM with good people and children to ring in 2014 with.  It was a wonderful time and we're so lucky to have so many good friends to share our lives with.
I put a few purple streaks in my hair!  Something I've wanted to do for a very long time and I love it and crazy enough to do it.
Brianna found herself addicted to knitting and the 'Frozen' soundtrack both at the same time.  We've all memorized her stitches as well as the songs by heart.
 When the break got too long and boring, we ventured out to do various things together to pass the time.
 I tried to spend more moments outside capturing the beautiful winter in Connecticut.
Keira and Maia learned how to play chess.  This filled up the entire last day of winter break and was a lifesaver!
And to end it all off, the FLU  has hit our household.  Must have been all that fun.  Brian was the first to get sick and Brianna has followed his lead.  I do not feel well myself but it has yet to develop into the horrible sickness they have.  I've been pumping up the probiotics, water and healthy foods.  Oh, and I have been sugar, dairy, alcohol and grain free for almost six whole days.  I feel great.  It wasn't easy at all - major sugar withdrawals for a few days but I feel better now.  I'm sure it has helped me stay well so far this week.  I figured a good detox was in order after the holidays.
And today is Three Kings Day (or The Epiphany)... usually we celebrate but today it is just not going to happen with this sickness going around.  That's why I always allow us to use the entire week to celebrate festivals.  If you are looking for fun ideas, our Three Kings Day E-Book is all you need to create a magical week with your children and celebrate a brand new year.

Stay well! 
xoxo

4 comments:

rachel said...

Hi Eileen! We are new to Little Acorn Learning. I am trying out the January three day guide with my youngest two children who are 2 and 4. All four of my kids are super excited to celebrate Three Kings Day with the cake and the bean. We're celebrating today because we adopted one of our children from Ethiopia and today is Ethiopian Christmas. Anyway, I looked at the recipe and it doesn't list how much flour to add. I couldn't find your email address anywhere, which is why I'm posting here. Your help would be greatly appreciated (and I wanted to let you know so you could update the guide.) :)
-Rachel

Little Acorn Learning said...

Hi, Rachel! Thank you for pointing out that omission - here is the recipe including flour amount:

Supplies Needed:
Two eggs
1 ½ cup of sifted flour
Cup of sugar (use half a cup of honey instead)
Cup of sour cream
Teaspoon of vanilla flavoring
1/2 teaspoon of lemon flavoring
Round cake tin, (8 inches) across and (3 inch) deep
dried bean
Cake rack
For cream cheese icing:
Mix one package of cream cheese with 1/2 stick butter, some honey and
lemon juice.

Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the cream and beat, then add the natural flavorings.
Lightly fold in the sifted flour.
Spoon the batter into the well-buttered tin.
Make sure you add the bean.
Bake for 40-60 minutes (check often) at 350 degrees.
Enjoy!

rachel said...

hey, thanks a million! we are loving the January guide so far. my only regret is that i bought the three day guide instead of the five! my girls have loved it and even my 6 1/2 year old wants to jump in on the circle time songs. sooo cute!

kristin said...

oh Eileen!! How happy I am to "see" you!! :) After so many years, I finally meet the face behind the blog. You are just so so so adorable, and I really love,love,love the purple streaks.

Happy New Year! xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails